Friday, May 4, 2012

A Magical Door in the Ceiling

 Hello Friends,
I have to share with you a very special find that I came across many years ago. At the time I wondered into a boutique looking studio with a whimsical weather vein that stood out amid the drab corporate offices and stores. Upon passing through the gate I was met with a magical world immediately. Instead of just a straight walk to the door of the building I found a meandering stream with flowers and tiny houses here and there.. but all this was nothing compared to when my foot crossed the threshold into the building... the stream ran through the building... which felt more like a cottage. the door was round at the top, a tiny walk way crossed the wall leading to a tiny house perched near the ceiling. A door.. full size was in the center of the ceiling waiting to welcome guest who could fly to it. Best of all in the middle of all the magic stood a beautiful full size hand carved tree. There were tables with odds and ends ready to be purchased. Handmade stuffed animals and porcelain figures sprinkled the space. I was in heaven plain and simple. I found out that this world of wonder was the creation of a husband and wife team who had together dreamed up a beautiful fairy tale and all the lovely beings I was surrounded by. But even better... there was a door ajar that I could clearly see through.. and behind that door were tables with sewing machines and ladies happily making more magical beings! Oh how lovely it all was.
From what I gather that studio location has since been closed but the authors and their magic live on at a new special place. Check out the amazing World of the The Whimbles and their inspiring creators at whimbledesigns.com


 
 Manning with Sophie's Egg



MARTHA YOUNG MCQUILKIN & JOCK MCQUILKEN


And as a parting thought I wanted to share a quote from one of my favorite artists which I think this couple demonstrates very well, they set a high goal and have reached it...


The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short;
but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
Michelangelo


Hugs,
Heather







No comments: